Saturday 15 June 2013

Are glasses the new black?


Is it just my imagination, or are more people wearing glasses these days, especially young women? Once upon a time, people felt they were ugly, remember the saying "girls who wear glasses never get passes"?

(I am reluctant to reveal my inner obsessions, but I confess to finding women wearing glasses very attractive. I am open to an explanation for this, but I can't help it.)

There are, of course practical complications with having to carry glasses all the time. I was mostly grateful that I inherited my Father's genes and never needed glasses until normal deterioration made reading glasses necessary. The only time this was a problem was during electronics lab sessions at university, when I had to solder electronic components. I always felt the students who wore glasses had useful protection against hot solder spitting into their eyes. In those wild days, it never occurred to anyone that we should wear protection anyway.

As I have, perhaps unwisely, revealed, I am very content with the number of people especially young women who wear glasses these days. But now we seem to be about to wear glasses even if our eyesight is perfect. That is: Google glasses:


These I find alarming. The logic behind them is that you need to be "connected" all the time. Not a single waking moment will remain where you are alone with your thoughts, which is madness.

Then there is the creepiness of being able to take a photo of anything you are looking at, without the object of the photo knowing it. I have heard a parent of a young child who is testing these glasses saying it allows him to take very intimate photos when he is looking at his child, but I still find the whole thing disturbing. I like gadgets, but I have enough now, stop!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Paul! There's no harm in revealing a few your likes and dislikes about attractiveness. We are all individually programmed to be attracted to certain features either through nature or nurture. I don't find spectacles make a woman more attractive, but someone I generally find attractive still often looks attractive in spectacles. Being still single and out of luck, perhaps nature is telling me that my ideal woman might need to be short-sighted. So perhaps I should look for someone who wears spectacles. Since you have been so kind to share, I will share with you that I find many women very attractive when a little bit of God seems quietly to shine out of them through their glowing eyes and smile and pleasant nature, whether they are religious or not. I have never at a later stage become physically attracted to someone to whom I was never initially physically attracted but I have often become more and more attracted to someone to whom I was mildly physically attracted initially . This is because all the senses have a part to play in finding a person attractive and a lot of this information only trickles through to us gradually. I find certain types of plainness attractive and other types not, certain types of prettiness attractive, and other types not. Quite often my initial visual interest falls away upon the initial verbal exchange or even the first touch upon meeting. Even sixth sense may play a part, for those who have this acutely. I say with total gravity that the laws of attraction are a marvellous thing to behold, experience and wonder about. Regards Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I replied yesterday but I think I managed to lose it!

    I like the idea of Google glasses. I'd rather people look ahead while they're walking along than look down at their phones, which is dangerous. That said, taking a photo of someone or videoing them without them knowing is creepy.

    My theory on people wearing glasses being attractive is that the glasses magnify their eyes, so when you look into the eyes of someone wearing glasses (probably for distance rather than reading glasses) they can appear to have big eyes, which can be attractive. My second theory is that there's a link between glasses and intelligence i.e. people who stay up late studying tend to ruin their eyesight, and intelligence can be attractive. But as Chris says, the laws of attraction are a marvellous thing to behold. I've been watching series 3 of Downton Abbey (the best yet). I laughed when the cook told the kitchen maids and the footmen "you're all in love with the wrong people".

    ReplyDelete