Monday 11 November 2013

Among friends

Yesterday I went to the Mass at Matt Talbot hostel, as I have been doing for the last year. I realised then how much I had missed this while I was away. There is a real sense of community with all the people there, even though people come and go regularly.

I also missed talking to some of the men who can always surprise you with the things they know. For example, while I was walking in France, I visited a museum in the town of Figeac which was dedicated to Jean-Francois Champollion, who used the discovery of the Rosetta stone to translate Egyptian hieroglyphics. Before seeing this museum, I didn't know who Champollion was, but one of the men knew it.

I also learned yesterday that next month China will be launching a moon lander called Chang'e.

Another astronomical activity is the Mars One project which was started by a Dutchman and plans to send people to colonise Mars. Apparently they have asked for volunteers to make the one-way trip to Mars, and 20,000 people from Australia responded.

The things you hear!!!!

1 comment:

  1. One thing I forgot to say in this post is that when they set up the house on Mars, the plan is to broadcast their activities in a Big Brother programme. Presumably no-one will be evicted from that BB house!!

    ReplyDelete