Friday 24 August 2012

Questions





I have now mentioned my plan to walk the Camino to a couple of the Scripture classes I do. They all think I'm mad.

A couple of typical comments are: "why not catch the bus?", "why walk the long route, take the short one." Thankfully, they are still too young to understand mid-to-late life crises.

Then, last Wednesday, I got an unexpected comment from a girl in year 6. She said: "Will you not walk on Sundays, since that is the day of rest?"
I stonewalled, because I needed time to think of an answer. When I was at school in the Swinging Sixties, a hot topic was whether it was a sin to play football on Sunday. (This was after our unsuccessful attempts to convince the priests that it was a sin to do homework on Sunday).

The conclusion was that it was a sin to go to a professional Rugby League match on Sunday, but it was ok to play or watch school football, on the basis that this was a kind of family activity.
It all seems long ago, since most sport watching or furniture buying now occurs on Sunday. I will have to rely on the girl in year 6 to explain that to me.

Posted using BlogPress

2 comments:

  1. Indeed you have to be at a certain age to appreciate the mental effect (never mind your feet)
    of this pilgrimage.

    We have people walking to compostella from Belgium crossing the length of France, I suppose
    that is even more bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly regard myself as being of "a certain age". However, I am deeply offended that there are people more "bonkers" than myself.
      How long do they take to walk from Antwerp to Santiago? I expect that the only people who can do this must be either 18 or 60 years old. No one else has enough spare time!!

      Delete