Saturday 28 September 2013

Monisole d'Allier

Yesterday I walked about 18 km and my knee still seems to be ok.
In fact it was a hard day's walking. There was a bit of a climb in the morning, but the descent into Monisole, where I stayed last night was tough. A long trail over loose rocks which was as hard as the descent last year after Cruz de Ferro.
The woman at the Gite was a little annoyed that I arrived unannounced at 5pm expecting a meal as well as a bed.
In future ill try to arrive at my destination at 3 at the latest.
This also poses the question what is my goal? Last year it was clearly to get to Santiago, but now there is no destination like that. I'm thinking of doing a shorter distance each day, eg 12km to Saugres today. My feet were a bit sore yesterday and I will get blisters if I do 20km each day. The people at dinner last night were thinking the same and are planning to "smell the roses" en route and spend se time in the villages.
Today we will meet crazy people taking part in Le Grand Trail du St Jacques. This is using the Camino as a fun run. They will run backwards, from places as far as 70km West of Le Puy and finish in ale Puy. Yesterday the path was full of yellow markers positing the way which were put there by the organizers. I don't know how they will run over some these paths.
Anyway I'll give them a wide berth if I meet them today.

1 comment:

  1. Cross-country running backwards! That could be made into a new Olympic sport. How about Usain bolting backwards over 100 metres? After all, in swimming we have the backstroke, which is the equivalent of swimming backwards. Chris.

    ReplyDelete