Tuesday 30 September 2014

A Hard Life

On the bus this morning, a group of young African men got on board. One of them told me that after a dangerous journey, he had recently arrived in Italy in a crowded rubber boat, which was, fortunately for him, intercepted by the Italian navy before it would likely have sunk.

He is doing some studies here while his asylum claim is being assessed.
Since I didn't know my way around, he kindly showed me to the centre of town, and then left and went about his business without expecting any favours.
He seemed a very decent person and, given the chance, would try to contribute to society.

The trouble is that the Italian economy is having problems, which won't make his life any easier.
He said the Italian people had been good to him. He said that his experiences so far had showed him that good people attract good people, bad people attract bad. I wonder what will happen to him.


Posted via Blogaway

No comments:

Post a Comment