Saturday 11 October 2014

Falling on my feet

This afternoon I took the 1 hour train trip from Naples to Sorrento, then walked to the convent of the Suore Oblate del Bambino Gesu.
I arrived at about 5.30pm and after being shown my room, I was told they had to go to the Mass in the chapel. It turned out this was a celebration for the name day of the head, Mother Daniella, and afterwards I was invited to the dinner with about 40 people from the congregation. A lot of fun.

The order only exists in Italy, Peru and Brazil. Among many other things, the sisters make icons and run classes for people who want to learn how to make them. All the icons in the photo of the chapel were made by the sisters. The convent has a stunning view over the bay and the islands.

A proud Neapolitan woman told me that some things I should do in Naples are see the "Cristo Velato" in St Stephens church. This is a marble sculpture of Christ in the tomb, covered by a veil, which is part of the marble sculpture. I was told it is an unforgettable sight.
Also, see Museo San Martino.


Posted via Blogaway

2 comments:

  1. The icons are beautiful -did you buy one? Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they sell any. Anyway, I don't have any space in my bag for anything big.

      Delete