Friday 10 October 2014

Real Estate

I had intended to see the ruins at Pompeii and also the top of Vesuvius today, but I stayed so long at Pompeii that I ran out of time for the volcano.

I didn't realize how big Pompeii is, with temples, theatres, shops, an arena for watching animals and people being killed, and many streets of houses, some big, some small and some in between.

I picked out my choice of house, see photo. It has 3 bedrooms, a big kitchen and outdoor entertaining area. The bathroom facilities for these houses were never mentioned in the tour guides, I suspect the truth is ugly.
Also pictured is an unfortunate former resident.


Posted via Blogaway

6 comments:

  1. Are you still leaving to come home on the 18th? I too found Pompeii fascinating and somewhere amongst my vast collection of treasures I have a piece of 'larva' from Vesuvius that my grandfather gave me as a child from his trip there in the 1950s or 60s. I like your choice of real estate and from memory we were told that they had a fantastic plumbing system throughout Pompeii with running water from tapsi!! Maybe I'm imagining all this! I liked the stepping stones to get across any flooded streets with gaps for the chariot wheels to go through! Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently Vesuvius was sending out smoke in the 40's and maybe 50's, but it has been dormant since and vegetation has regrown on the slopes. However the tour guide said it I'd one of the 15 most active volcanoes. Yes, 18th for return.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I hope you had a great trip. I thought last weeks often on you and on your trip and ask me where you are....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not done as much walking as I expected. The tracks are sometimes isolated and I decided I wanted to see more of the towns. I hope things are going well, do you have to delay walking for a while?

      Delete
    2. Oh, I like the picture I have from Italian cities and life.I sounds for me relaxed. I decide to stop wlking for this year. Me dog is at the moment to young, she want to play and not to walk every day with me. I think I could find these things rom the way also here. And the people here on the coast are so different from the people I met last year and the way is also isolated for the most times, so the next time I start my trip in the south and hope it would be different.

      Delete
    3. Also, I prefer roads with more people. Not many people walk the tracks here compared to Spain and France. Have you ever walked from LePuy? I think you went via Arles last year?

      Delete