Sunday 30 September 2012

At the starting post

I'm using the free internet kindly provided by the St Jean Pied de Port information office.
The Ryanair flight was uneventful except that I booked the seat next to the emergency exit door to get more legroom. After the normal safety demonstration, the hostess told the 2 of us sitting at the exit how to open the door. She said if we had any trouble opening it, we could ask her. We assured her we would ask.

The train trip to St Jean was full of pilgrims and it is a very pretty trip along the river, with the Pyrenees in the background. The weather was rainy yesterday, but it is getting better so conditions should be good tomorrow.

I visited the local church, called Donibane Garazi in Basque. The priest was there, and if I understood him correctly, this means Notre Dame debout le pont. I plan to go to the 8.30am Mass tomorrow, though the priest warned me it will be all in Basque. He showed me the Mass book with the Mass in both Basque and French as a help

3 comments:

  1. French, Latin or Swahili it's still Mass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bon Voyage!!! Good luck to those feet and knees on the first and hardest day of the Cimino! Just as well you did all that training up and down the famous Awaba Street hill! Emjoy the walk to Orisson - I wonder if they have internet cafes there so you can add to your blog? Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Paul We are very jealous that we dodnt yet find time
    Bon Camino!
    Sue and Rob

    ReplyDelete