Thursday 13 September 2012

First crisis



I thought things were going smoothly with my boots, since I have been walking regularly in them, including 20km walks, over the last 4 months. These boots (in the foreground above) are very comfortable and almost feel like slippers when I have been walking along footpaths and some local bush tracks. I have had no problems with blisters.
Then some danger signs. I was told by a couple of experienced bushwalkers  that they get their boots a little large to allow for feet swelling on long walks. I also wore some socks that were a bit large this week and my feet felt very cramped.
I spoke with Jamie in a Kent St store and he described my boots as "light walking boots" and pointed out that the soles are soft and can be twisted in a torsion motion, whereas other boots have firmer soles so that my legs don't have to control this looseness. I also remember the podiatrist where I got my orthotics looked unenthusiastic about my boots.
Jamie didn't push new boots on me and said the ones I had would probably do, but I tried on several types and sizes and I have bought the ones in the background above. These are size 44.5 (European sizes) while my original boots are 43. When Jamie measured my feet, they were 43, with my left foot slightly longer than 43.
The problem I have now is that I have new boots that I haven't worn in. I think "worn in" applies to both the boots and my feet. I can wear the boots around the house for a week and still return them to the shop if they are uncomfortable. I'll wear them around the house and then go for a long walk next Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment