Monday 10 September 2012

what to take


Most people I talk to about undertaking a long walk like the Camino recommend taking as little as possible. This is an obviously practical suggestion and I suspect is a learning experience to unburden yourself from worries.
Having said that, the various books I have seen suggest many things that seem unnecessary to me.
For example, this is a suggested list I have seen for medicines and first aid items:


  • Prescription medicines (Flixotide and Ventolin for asthma, in my case) OK
  • tennis ball for massaging muscles OK
  • Antifungal cream (eg Lamasil) as preventative in showers OK
  • Hydrozole anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory OK
  • Sunscreen OK
  • Antiseptic cream or ointment OK
  • Stemetil anti-nausea medicine X
  • Panadol X
  • Anti-inflammatories X
  • Voltaren cream for relief of soft tissue injuries such as sprains X
  • Moisturiser, lip salve OK
  • Friars Balsam to dry the skin before applying bandages X
  • Needle to pierce blisters OK
  • Bandages and gauze eg Elastoplast. OK
  • Scissors, small OK
  • Tweezers OK
  • Anti-chafing cream, eg Silic 15 Cream by Ego OK
  • Compeed to protect damaged skin X
  • Anti-diarrhoea X
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste OK
  • Dental floss X
  • Shampoo X
  • comb OK
  • soap OK
  • deodorant X
  • shaving gear X
  • travel towel OK
  • toilet paper X
  • wet or dry tissues OK
  • prescription antibiotic such as Maxamox. Apparently Australian doctors will give you a prescription for some antibiotics to take in case they are needed. OK
At the moment, my idea is to take the items marked OK but not the others.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure there'll be a pharmacy somewhere. Why not just take a copy of the list in French/Spanish? I think I'd rather have a tube of Voltaren over a tennis ball for aching muscles!

    ReplyDelete