Thursday 27 September 2012

Efficient communication

I seem to have stumbled on the perfect way of keeping in touch with home while traveling through several countries (assuming that is what you want to do),
I have 2 mobile phones, an iPhone 3GS and an even older Nokia slider phone, both of them out of contract and unlocked.
Before leaving, I bought a TravelSIM pre-paid card and put this in the Nokia. This can make phone calls and SMS messages, and you have the same contact number wherever you are.
I then spent a couple of hours in the centre of Antwerp tracking down a local SIM card. It turns out that there is something called an "Internet only" pre-paid card which does not provide phone calls. This cost 10 Euros for the SIM card itself and 100MB of data. You can top this up with another 500MB for 15 Euro. I put this in the iPhone, so I now have plenty of data for emails, uploading photos, using navigation and listening to local or foreign (ie Australian) news on the radio. Email is the simplest way of keeping in touch when you have it always available on a mobile device.
The test will be to find a similar Internet data SIM card in Spain. I will have to do this in the first big city, which is Pamplona.
- Posted using BlogPress

1 comment:

  1. I must get one of those next time I'm in Europe. My new iPhone 5 arrived today so I now have a spare unlocked iPhone 3GS. I backed up the old iPhone and loaded it onto the new. The only problem is it did such a good job of restoring everything(even my bookmarks)I hardly feel like I have a new phone!

    ReplyDelete