Tuesday 20 November 2012

Besancon






A bright sunny day in Besancon.
This is a view over the city from the Citadel designed by Vauvon.
There is a lot to see here as well as the citadel: cathedral, the arch built for Marcus Aurelius, museums, birthplace of Victor Hugo ( our NZer, Russell Crow is in the latest film of Les Miserables), the streets of the old town, the river Doube, etc.
There is an enormous amount of renovation going on and it is already looking sparkling.
Thanks to the help of Patrick, we found the right bus to get to the city. He is an opera lover and said Joan Sutherland and Richard Bonynge are much admired here for their support of 19th century French music.
It's a wonderful city to spend time in.
- Posted using BlogPress

Location:Rue Jean Baptiste Proudhon,Besançon,France

4 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful. When I see round buildings I always wonder where people place the furniture! When are you heading back to Oz?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Paul. Many fascinating things to see in your trip. Im very pleased for you . Just enjoy . Recuerda que un
    dia r podras compartir tus memorias . Las ffotos estanpreciosas . Recuerdos cuidate . Dios te bendiga . Hasta pronto Amparo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean, the big French chateaux look more suited to tourists than living in.
    Many of the renovations here are to houses that people will actually live in. I don't know who is paying.
    I fly out of Brussels next Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Besancon looks like a nice French town. Maybe Muhouse is too, but of all the nearby French towns, I think I've taken a fancy to Nancy. Also, after looking at the map, I see that Worms is also nearby in Germany. I guess snails might be on the menu in Besancon, but I don't think I could handle a Diet of Worms. Regards, Chris.

    ReplyDelete