Friday 2 November 2012

Portomarin

Arrived in Portomarin, which leaves about 80km to go to Santiago. We arrived in the rain with a group of schoolgirls from Madrid who are walking to Palas De Rei this weekend, and I think they plan to do the next stage next year. Their English is excellent, even the girls who look about 13, which shows what can be done when you learn to speak a language, not just learn to pass an HSC exam, as I did with French.
Some people are rushing to get to the pilgrim's Mass on Sunday because they think the large thurible us more likely to be in action then, but I'll stay with the normal pace.
I should arrive on Monday afternoon at stay at an albergue either in Santiago or the large one 5km away. Then on Tuesday I get my certificate and go to the noon Mass.
Then.........?
- Posted using BlogPress

Location:Calle de Benigno Quiroga,PortomarĂ­n,Spain

3 comments:

  1. Are you going to walk to the coast like they do in the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Paul, I believe you met chicas from a special high school in Madrid. Hopefully times are changing because not long time ago the level of a foreign language; French, Italian even English was quite basic. Think too that at home many Spanish people are speaking another local language. How is your Galician going on ? Did you hear the story of the church of Portomarin ? The large thurible is only swinging on special occasions, when the bishop celebrates the Mass, so give him a call in advance that Sydney will sponsoring. And the the walk to Finistere is 4 days more. That you can include in your next Camino Norte. Enjoy the rainy Galician days. Bart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul,

    It will be interesting to see your certificate, but are you searching for your sword like the other Paulo? (Motivated by your pilgrimmage, I have only just started reading the book to get an understanding of what you are doing. However I have no ambitions to do it myself) I hope you get an outstanding spiritual, and even temporal, return on the time and effort you are investing. Cheers CWM

    ReplyDelete