Saturday 12 October 2013

Figeac

Today I saw the first grapevine. I think this means we are approaching the wine region of Cahors:

I am now in the busy town of Figeac. 
It is a change to be in a town again. Even Conques was small and is a historical monument rather than a real town. Many of the villages I have passed through have been very quiet with very few people around. I think there have been more cows than people in my photos so far.

Figeac is the home town of the person who deciphered the Rosetta Stone and there is a large museum here devoted to that. I'm staying here tomorrow instead of walking, so I might go to that museum, as well as looking at the Saturday market here.
Soon I have to decide how far I can get in the remaining time. It will be either Cahors or Moissac.
In the meantime, I have seen that Chateau Cardboard is alive and well here:

5 comments:

  1. Wine not milk your pilgrimage for all it's worth? Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cafe looks perfect for a glass of wine, a slice of cake and some people watching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's raining today, but I'll go out now and try some people watching. The forecast for the next few days is not too bad; a bit of rain but warmer (20 degrees)

      Delete
  3. Elke streek heeft andere wijn; Cahors is een beetje koppig. Toch veel plezier met het zoeken naar de juiste fles en gezelschap. Hou het droog buiten maar niet binnen. Sante.

    ReplyDelete