Thursday 11 October 2012

Misty




The weather was better than I expected this morning, no rain, just mist.
I've decided to stay in albrgues in small villages as far as possible. These seem to be more comfortable and are often run by families who can be very helpful. There is no trouble finding a place at this time of year.
In the big towns they are built to handle the big numbers in the middle of summer and they can be cramped.
Another important topic: snoring. As far as I know, I don't snore but I need confirmation of this. From my observation so far, about 30% of the population snore. Strangely, the snorers are able to fall into a deep, snoring sleep as soon as their head hits the pillow. Fortunately, I have no trouble sleeping and can sleep through storms, earthquakes and snoring. I wonder if this means I snore myself?

On the subject of the film "The Way" about the Camino, starring Martin Sheen, I was told about the poetic license they took in the film. There is an episode when they stay in a luxurious hotel in Leon. The hotel shown in the film is actually in Burgos, not Leon.
There is a scene halfway through on a terrace. This was actually filmed in Orisson which is the Albergue in the Pyrenees where I stayed on the first night.


- Posted using BlogPress

Location:Alesanco,Spain

9 comments:

  1. Talking of Martin Sheen, America could do with a real President Bartlet (West Wing) right now! Hope it stays dry for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've never said the length of time you walk each day?? Are you keeping to plan to reach Santiago on the expected date?? That's great to be a third of the way there. Quite an achievement already!
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don´t have much of a plan, it was hard enough planning to get here in the first place, I don´t have any planning left!!

      Delete
    2. Hang in there Paul you've done so well just getting there. Am so envious. I'm really looking forward to reading further blogs. Several men from the Talbot have been asking for you.

      Warm regards,
      Helen

      Delete
  3. The auberges in small villages sound much nicer. Are pilgrims the main income for many of the villges?Is the movie The Way ever the topic of conversation? Surely it has opened up The Cimino to people who may never have heard of it before! Please light a candle and say a prayer for the parents of little Elizabeth who I mentioned previously - their faith is truly being tested right now and I really don't know how they are going to ever recover from the trauma they've been through. Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you read Father Frank's beatitiudes for pilgrims? I've been trying to work out whether he is ahead of you - or not? Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Fr Frank is about a day ahead of me.
      I think the beatitudes he is talking about were the same as the ones shown to me by a nun called Sr Marisol last week. She said they had a retreat a little while ago and wrote the beatitudes then.

      Delete
  5. It's certainly interesting, it seems like there is a river of humanity walking in the same direction.
    It's good of the men to ask about me, please give them my best wishes.

    ReplyDelete